1. World Sight Day celebrated on 12 October
This year the theme of World Sight Day is – “Love your eyes at work.” At present, everyone from elders to small children spend hours on mobile, TV and laptop. This causes direct damage to their eyes. Due to this, eyesight gradually starts weakening.
Table of Contents
2. Health experts share information about ‘Haemochromatosis’ or ‘Bronze Diabetes’
Recently health experts shared information about ‘Haemochromatosis’ or ‘Bronze Diabetes’. ‘Broz’ diabetes’ is an iron overload disease, which causes the body to absorb and store too much iron. Its symptoms usually start between the age of 30 to 60 years.
3. Pankaj Bohra takes over as National President of IACC
Pankaj Bohra has assumed the role of National President of Indo-American Chamber of Commerce. IACC, with 14 offices in India and 27 partner organizations in the US, is engaged in promoting bilateral trade and investment between India and the US. India and the United States are experiencing rapid growth and the United States is emerging as India’s largest trading partner.
4. India started ‘Operation Ajay’
India has launched Operation Ajay to facilitate the return of its citizens wishing to return from Israel. A 24 hour control room has been set up in the Ministry of External Affairs to monitor the situation and provide information and assistance in view of the ongoing developments in Israel and Palestine.
Other important operations-
- Operation Ganga – to rescue Indians stranded in Ukraine
- Operation Namaste – Indian soldiers to protect themselves from Covid
- Operation Sankalp – conducted by the Indian Navy for maritime security in the Gulf
- Operation Vande Bharat – to bring back 14800 Indians stranded abroad during Covid
5. Bangladesh President inaugurates Padma Bridge Rail Link
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina marked a historic moment in the country’s infrastructure development by inaugurating the 82 km-long Padma Bridge Rail Link. This important project executed under China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) is set to transform the connectivity and economic landscape of Bangladesh.
Geography and Demography of Bangladesh
- Location: Located in South Asia, Bangladesh shares borders with India, Myanmar and the Bay of Bengal to the south.
- Capital: Dhaka
- Population: approximately 166 million people, making it one of the most densely populated countries in the world.
- Language: Bengali (Bangla) is the official language.
6. Maharashtra government approves ‘Lake Girl Scheme’
Maharashtra Government has today approved the ‘Lake Ladki’ i.e. Pyari Beti Scheme. The scheme was announced in this year’s state budget. This will apply to families holding yellow or saffron color ration cards. The state government has said that this scheme will be applicable to girls born after April 1, 2023.
7. India celebrated the 36th anniversary of Operation Pawan
On 11 October 2023, the 36th anniversary of the Indian Operation ‘Pawan’ conducted in Sri Lanka was celebrated. In the year 1987 tilde H, on 11 October, operation named ‘Pawan’ was launched by the Indian Peace Keeping Force (IPKF) in Jaffna, Sri Lanka. Which lasted from 1987 to 1990. The objective of this operation was to liberate the Jaffna Peninsula (Sri Lanka) from the separatist Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
8. Jitendra Singh addressed the 10th “India-Sweden Innovation Day” meeting
Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh has addressed the 10th “India-Sweden Innovation Day” meeting. Both countries are celebrating the 75th anniversary of diplomatic relations and the fifth anniversary of the Sweden-India Joint Declaration on Innovation Partnership. The partnership covers a range of sectors including smart cities, transport and e-mobility, energy, clean technologies, new materials, space, circular and bio-based economy and health and life sciences.
9. UK Chief Minister launches ‘Rozgar Prayag Portal’ at Uttarakhand Youth Festival
- Uttarakhand CM Pushkar Singh Dhami has launched ‘Rojgar Prayag Portal’ in the Uttarakhand Youth Festival-2023 program organized at Parade Ground, Dehradun.
- This portal has been developed by the government for the youth with the aim of providing employment opportunities in the state on a single portal.
- The Chief Minister of Uttarakhand also launched ‘Yuva Uttarakhand App’ and inaugurated self-employment centers in employment offices of Dehradun and Udham Singh Nagar.
- The app has been developed by ITDA to provide schemes run by different departments at one place.