1. India-Kazakhstan joint military exercise Kazind-2023 begins
- A 120-person Indian Army and Indian Air Force contingent left for Kazakhstan to participate in the 7th edition of the joint military ‘Exercise KAZIND-2023’.
- The exercise will be conducted in Ottar, Kazakhstan from 30 October to 11 November.
- The Indian Army contingent consists of 90 personnel led by a battalion of the Dogra Regiment. The Kazakhstan contingent is represented by personnel of the South Regional Command of the Kazakh Ground Forces.
- Thirty Air Force personnel from both sides will also participate in the current edition of the exercise along with Army contingents.
Table of Contents- Current Affairs 31.10.2023
2. World Thrift Day: 30 October
- It is celebrated all over the world on 31st October to make people aware about saving.
- A student studying in class 6, resident of Barun village of the block has also shown his skill towards saving.
- Student Himanshu Kumar Sharma has made a money locker from junk.
3. Piyush Goyal participates in the 7th ‘Future Investment Initiative’ in Riyadh
- Piyush Goyal, Minister of Commerce & Industry, Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution and Textiles, participated in the 7th edition of the Future Investment Initiative (FII) in Riyadh.
- He met several dignitaries from the host country Saudi Arabia (KSA), including Minister of Energy His Excellency (HRH) Prince Abdul Aziz bin Salman Al-Saud, Minister of Commerce His Excellency (H.E.) Majid bin Abdullah Alkasabi and Minister of Investment. He is Khalid A. Al Falih.
- Goyal addressed the 7th edition of FII in a plenary session titled “The Coming Investment Mandate”.
4. The “Jai Bhim Mukhyamantri Pratibha Vikas Yojna” was initiated by the Delhi government
The “Jai Bhim Mukhyamantri Pratibha Vikas Yojna” was initiated by the Delhi government in the National Capital Territory in 2023. The objective of this effort is to offer free tutoring to students who fall under the SC, ST, OBC, or EWS categories for a variety of competitive exams and entrance exams. A big step in the direction of advancing social justice and equity in education is the yojna. It will support underprivileged students in reaching their learning objectives and competing fairly for opportunities.
5. Global Teacher Awards 2023: West Bengal teacher among top 10 finalists
- Deep Narayan Nayak, a teacher from West Bengal, has been announced as one of the top 10 finalists out of 130 countries in the US$1 million Global Teacher Prize 2023.
- Deep Narayan of Tilka Manjhi Adivasi Free Primary School in Jamuria, Asansol, as he shifted classes outside and helped bridge the digital divide for underprivileged children living below the poverty line during the COVID-19 lockdown. Earned the title of “teacher of the streets” during.
- In remote communities, empowering people with learning disabilities, mentoring students and their parents, and improving literacy rates among adult learners.
6. The US House of Representatives elected its new speaker
- Republican Congressman Mike Johnson of Louisiana has been elected as the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
- The office of Speaker of the House of Representatives is one of the most powerful political chairs in the country and is third in the line of succession after the US President.
- Johnson was elected by a 220 to 209 vote in a bitterly divided Congress, three weeks after his predecessor Kevin McCarthy was unseated for the first time in US history.
- Republicans have a slim majority in the 435-member House, with 221 seats to the Democrats’ 212 seats.
7. Fico of Slovakia appointed Prime Minister for the fourth time
- Robert Fico has been appointed Prime Minister of Slovakia for the fourth time.
- He will attend the EU summit in Brussels where fellow leaders of the nation-first populist should get an early nod.
- President Zuzana Caputova appointed Fico and her Cabinet after her SMER-SSD party won elections on September 30 and formed a coalition with the center-left HLAS and nationalist SNS parties.
- Fico stepped down as prime minister in 2018 amid massive public protests against corruption following the murder of a journalist.
8. Yogesh Kathuniya wins silver medal in men’s discus throw at Asian Para Games
- Yogesh Kathuniya won silver medal in Men’s Discus Throw-F54/55/56 at the Asian Para Games 2023 held in Hangzhou, China.
- Yogesh represented India at the Summer Paralympics 2020 where he won a silver medal in the men’s discus throw F56 event.
- He is a resident of Delhi.
9. Paytm becomes official sponsor of 37th National Games
- India’s renowned fintech giant, Paytm is the official sponsor of the 37th National Games in Goa.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the National Games at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Fatorda.
- The National Games, which is very similar to the Olympics, are taking place from October 26 to November 9, 2023, and will see more than 10,000 athletes from across the country competing in 43 different sports disciplines at 28 venues.
- This edition is unique, with participation from 28 Indian states and 8 union territories.
10. China launched its youngest-ever space crew in 2023
2023 saw the launch of China’s youngest-ever space crew, the Shenzhou 17 mission. With an average age of 38, the crew is made up of Tang Hongbo, Tang Shengjie, and Jiang Xinlin. They are now the youngest team working on the building of a space station. Experienced astronaut Tang Hongbo oversaw a three-month space mission in 2021.
11. Swiss watch manufacturer ‘Rado’ has appointed Katrina Kaif as global brand ambassador.
- Luxury Swiss watch brand ‘Rado’ has appointed Bollywood superstar Katrina Kaif as its global brand ambassador.
- This exciting partnership reinforces Rado’s commitment to creating memories that last a lifetime.
- Katrina Kaif’s timeless beauty and international appeal make her the perfect choice to represent Rado’s enduring commitment to precision, innovation and craftsmanship.
- Known for her versatility and charisma, Katrina Kaif epitomizes the values that Rado holds.
12. Mariyappan Thangavelu wins silver medal in high jump at Asian Para Games
- Mariyappan Thangavelu has won a silver medal in the men’s high jump T63 event at the Asian Para Games 2022 in Hangzhou, China.
- Thangavelu jumped 1.86 metres.
- This is his second medal in the Games, before which he had won a gold medal in Rio Paralympics 2016.
- In 2017, the Government of India honored him with the Padmashree Award for his contribution towards sports and in the same year he was also honored with the Arjuna Award.
- He was awarded the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna in 2020.
13. India ranks third in the number of fintech unicorns worldwide, with 17 unicorns.
With 17 fintech unicorns, India is in third place globally, according to Statista. With 134 unicorns, the United States is in the lead, followed by the United Kingdom with 27. Startups in the financial technology space valued at more than $1 billion are known as fintech unicorns. India is leading the way in fintech innovation, which is becoming more and more significant in the global financial system.
14. Italy is experiencing a severe demographic crisis, with the number of births hitting a new low this year
With birth rates reaching a record low this year, Italy is facing a serious demographic catastrophe. In comparison to the same period in 2022, there were 3,500 fewer births between January and June of this year, according to preliminary figures from the national statistics bureau, ISTAT. The overall number of births decreased by 1.7% in 2022 to 393,000, the lowest level since Italy’s unification in 1861 and the fourteenth consecutive year of declines. The difficulties Italian women encounter in striking a balance between employment and parenting are one reason for the drop in birth rates. The third-largest economy in the Eurozone, Italy, has set aside about $1 billion ($1.05 billion) to address this situation, which the government views as a national emergency.
15. The Tata Group is set to become India’s first iPhone manufacturer after acquiring Wistron’s Indian operations
- The Tata Group is set to become India’s first iPhone manufacturer after acquiring Wistron’s Indian operations.
- This move is expected to boost India’s electronics manufacturing sector and make the country a more attractive destination for global tech companies.
- The Tata Group is one of India’s largest conglomerates and has a strong track record in manufacturing. The group’s acquisition of Wistron’s Indian operations is a significant development that will help India become a global leader in electronics manufacturing.
16. HAL and Safran Aircraft Engines signed an MoU in October 2023
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and Safran Aircraft Engines signed an MoU in October 2023 to enhance industrial cooperation in aerospace. The MoU covers the manufacturing of LEAP engine parts and the joint development of the Indian Multi-Role Helicopter.
17. RBI will impose on credit bureaus for failing to resolve customer complaints within 30 days
Credit bureaus are required by the RBI to address customer complaints within 30 days or face a punishment of ₹100 per day. In order to safeguard consumer interests and guarantee the accuracy and currency of their credit information, this is a major step. Every day that the complaint is not handled during the 30-day period will result in the fine being assessed. Credit bureaus will be encouraged to promptly and effectively handle complaints as a result.
18. The Dark Patterns Buster Hackathon 2023 was introduced in October 2023
The Dark Patterns Buster Hackathon 2023 was introduced in October 2023 by the Indian Department of Consumer Affairs (DoCA) in association with IIT-BHU. The goal of the hackathon is to create novel approaches for identifying and stopping dark tendencies in e-commerce systems. Dark patterns are cunning UI design decisions that lead users to perform activities they may not have intended to take. A dark pattern could be, for instance, a button that appears to be a “close” button but actually takes users to a separate page, or a pre-checked checkbox that offers users the option to subscribe to a premium service.
19. Indian Army mark the 76th ‘Shaurya Diwas’ in Jammu and Kashmir
The Indian Army marked the 76th ‘Shaurya Diwas’ in Jammu and Kashmir to commemorate the landing of Indian forces in the region on 27 October 1947. This operation marked the first civil-military victory for Independent India.
20. Indian Oil Corporation (Indian Oil) introduced India’s first reference fuel in 2023
In 2023, Indian Oil Corporation (Indian Oil) unveiled the nation’s first benchmark fuel. Vehicles are calibrated and tested using reference fuels, which are extremely specific fuels. They are necessary to guarantee both the performance of cars and the precision of emission readings. The primary distinction between ordinary or premium fuel and “reference” fuel is the octane number. The number of octane for regular fuel is 87, for premium fuel it is 91, and for “reference” fuel it is 97.
21. Indian Army’s first Vertical Wind Tunnel (VWT) located in Himachal Pradesh
The Special Forces Training School (SFTS) in Himachal Pradesh is home to the first Vertical Wind Tunnel (VWT) built by the Indian Army. October of 2023 marked its inaugural month. The VWT is a cutting-edge facility that offers military trainees a controlled environment to improve their Combat Free Fall (CFF) abilities by mimicking free fall situations found in real life. The special forces will be able to better prepare for modern conflicts as a result.