1. Angelo Mathews becomes the first player to be ‘timed out’ in international cricket
- Sri Lanka’s Angelo Mathews was controversially given “time out” in the World Cup match against Bangladesh, becoming the first man to be given out in the 146-year history of international cricket.
- The former captain took more than two minutes to take the strike and opposition captain Shakib Al Hasan appealed, which was upheld by the on-field umpire.
- After the fall of Sadira Samarawickrama in the 25th over, Mathews came out to bat but was unable to tighten the strap of his helmet, delaying the resumption of play.
Table of Contents : Latest Current Affairs 2023
2. November 7 – National Cancer Awareness Day
- National Cancer Awareness Day is celebrated every year on 7 November in India.
- Objective – To create more awareness about the disease and how we can detect it early.
- It is noteworthy that the National Cancer Control Program was started in 1975 to provide cancer treatment throughout the country.
- There are also other programs that help improve research on the disease and find ways to prevent it. Early detection is extremely important to cure cancer in patients.
- According to the latest reports, 1.1 million new cancer cases are reported every year in India, of which two-thirds are reported in advanced stages.
3. Union Minister of State for Science and Technology Dr. Jitendra Singh inaugurated the Children’s Science Festival
- Union Minister of State for Science and Technology, Dr. Jitendra Singh inaugurated the Children Science Festival.
- Dr. Jitendra Singh also visited the stalls in the exhibition organized on this occasion.
- It was organized by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research – Indian Institute of Combined Medicine.
4. Writer and scholar S.K. Vasanthan is the recipient of the 2023 Ezhuthachan Puraskaram, the top prize instituted by the Kerala government in the field of literature
The Kerala government’s highest literary award, the Ezhuthachan Puraskaram, has selected writer and academic S.K. Vasanthan for this year’s award. Major contributions to the corpus of scholarly literature in Malayalam are his writings Kerala Samskara Charitra Nikhandu and Nammal Nadanna Vazhikal, which deal with the cultural history of Kerala and Padinjaran Kavya Mimamsa.
5. First Australia India Council of Education and Skills meeting held at IIT Gujarat
- The first Australia India Education and Skills Council (AIESC) meeting was held at IIT Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- The Education Ministry said AIESC, previously the Australian India Education Council (AIEC), is a bi-national body established in 2011 to guide the strategic direction of education, training and research partnerships between the two countries.
- This is the first time that education and skills are being brought under a single institutional platform.
6. PM Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana will be extended for 5 years
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced that the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana will be extended for the next five years.
- Under this scheme, about 80 crore poor people across the country are being given 5 kg of free food grains every month. This scheme was ending in December this year.
- PM Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana was launched in April 2020
7. The Hague, Netherlands hosts the second World Local Production Forum
- Indian delegation led by Union Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers Bhagwant Khuba participated in the 2nd World Local Production Forum in The Hague, Netherlands.
- The World Local Production Forum is a platform created at the initiative of WHO with the aim of increasing access to medicines and other health technologies
- A Memorandum of Intent was signed between India and the Netherlands on cooperation in the field of medical product regulation.
- Capital- Amsterdam
- Currency- Euro
- Prime Minister – Mark Rutte
8. SBI has been authorized to issue and encash electoral bonds through 29 branches
- Government of India has authorized State Bank of India (SBI) to issue and encash electoral bonds through its 29 authorized branches from 6th to 20th of this month in the 29th phase of sale.
- The Electoral Bonds will be valid for 15 calendar days from the date of issue and if the Electoral Bond is deposited after the expiry of the validity period, no payment will be made to any paying political party.
- Electoral bonds deposited in the account of an eligible political party will be deposited on the same day.
- Political parties registered under the RP Act 1951 will be eligible to accept electoral bonds.
About State Bank of India (SBI)
- Establishment – 1 July 1955
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- President – Dinesh Kumar Khara
- Managing Director – (4) Alok Kumar Choudhary, Challa Srinivasulu Setty, and Ashwini Kumar Tiwari.
9. Kerala government has challenged its governor in the Supreme Court over pending bills recently
Due to outstanding bills, the Kerala government has filed a Supreme Court lawsuit against Arif Mohammed Khan, the state’s governor. The government claims that by holding up or refusing to sign state legislature-passed legislation, Khan has disregarded his constitutional obligations.
10. RBI honored with BusinessLine’s Changemaker of the Year 2023 award
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has honored with BusinessLine’s ‘Changemaker of the Year’ 2023 award. While a thoroughly beloved brand, Amul was crowned the coveted Changemaker of the Year.
- Governor Shaktikanta Das accepted it on behalf of RBI.
- The honor was part of the Hindu Businessline Changemaker Awards 2023 held at ITC Maurya in New Delhi.
- RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das attributed the RBI’s success in dealing with Covid and other crises to the teamwork and hard work of its dedicated officers and staff force.
11. Election Commission of India (ECI) designed the in-house software ENCORE for candidate and election management
The Election Commission of India (ECI) created an internal program called ENCORE (Enabling Communications on Real-time Environment) to handle elections and candidates in their entirety. Returning Officers can process candidate nominations, affidavits, voter turnout, counting, results, and data management with ease thanks to this integrated facility. ENCORE is a noteworthy technological breakthrough in the realm of election management, and it has been instrumental in guaranteeing the seamless and effective execution of elections in India.
12. Sunil Narine announces retirement from international cricket
- Mystery spinner Sunil Narine has announced his retirement from international cricket.
- The 35-year-old played 6 Tests, 65 ODIs and 51 T20 matches and was part of the West Indies team that won the T20 World Cup in 2012.
- The T20 Globetrotter last played for the senior national team in T20I cricket in 2019. His last Test was in 2013 while he did not play any ODI match after 2016.
- Sunil Narine also announced that he will retire from the domestic 50-over competition at the end of the ongoing Super 50 Cup, in which he is representing Trinidad and Tobago.
13. NASA Apollo astronaut Thomas Kenneth Mattingly II passes away
- Apollo astronaut Thomas Kenneth Mattingly II dies at age 87.
- Mattingly was a key figure in the Apollo program and was instrumental in ensuring the safe return of the Apollo 13 crew to Earth after an onboard explosion jeopardized their lunar mission.
- Thomas Kenneth Mattingly II, a former Navy jet pilot with a degree in aeronautical engineering, joined NASA in 1966 and made his first space flight in April 1972 as part of the Apollo 16 mission.
- Serving as pilot of the spacecraft’s command module, Mattingly took extensive photographs of the lunar surface and conducted experiments, while two other astronauts collected lunar samples.
14. State GST revenues increased by 12%
State GST revenues increased by 12% on average across all states, except Manipur and Himachal Pradesh, where they decreased by 19% and 2%, respectively.
15. The Agartala-Akhaura cross-border rail link project is a railway link between India and Bangladesh
The cross-border rail link project between Agartala and Akhara represents a major advancement in the relationship between Bangladesh and India. It is anticipated to greatly increase communication and cross-border trade between the two nations. The project will also cut the 38-hour travel time—via Dhaka—between Agartala and Kolkata to about 10 hours. Not only will this ease travel between the two nations, but it will also help with the movement of commodities. It is anticipated that the opening of the Agartala-Akhaura cross-border rail link project will further deepen relations between Bangladesh and India.
16. India and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) signed a (MoU) in November 2023
India and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in November 2023 to strengthen educational ties. The MoU was signed by Union Education and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Minister Dharmendra Pradhan and UAE Minister of Education Dr. Ahmad Al Falasi. The MoU is the first of its kind in the Gulf Cooperation.