1. Saudi Arabia to host FIFA World Cup 2034
- Saudi Arabia was the only football association to submit a bid to host the 2034 FIFA World Cup before the deadline, football’s global governing body FIFA confirmed.
- FIFA had invited bids from Asia and Oceania for the tournament and just minutes after the announcement Saudi Arabia announced it would bid.
- Australia said it would not submit a bid to host the tournament, leaving Saudi Arabia as the only candidate.
- It also confirmed that the only confirmed expressions of interest in hosting the 2030 World Cup came from Morocco, Portugal, Spain and Uruguay, which were hosting celebratory games.
Table of Contents- Latest Current Affairs 2023
2. World Vegan Day 2023: 1st November
World Vegan Day is observed annually on November 1st, celebrating the vegan lifestyle and its growth since ‘The Vegan Society’ was established in England in 1994.
3. Uttarakhand Chief Minister inaugurates 10-day Uttarakhand Mahotsav in UP
- The 10-day Uttarakhand Mahotsav began at the Pandit Govind Ballabh Pant Hill Cultural Park on the Gomati banks near Khatu Shyam Temple in Lucknow.
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami was the chief guest on this occasion.
- On the first day of the ten-day Uttarakhand Mahotsav, several groups of men and women dressed in traditional costumes and jewelery of Uttarakhand thronged the venue.
- The neatly designed stalls set up at the venue were the center of attraction. A group of 21 women artistes won the hearts of the people by presenting a cultural program.
About Uttar Pradesh
- Capital – Lucknow
- Chief Minister – Yogi Adityanath
- Governor – Anandiben Patel
- Dudhva National Park in Lakhimpur Kheri
- Patna Bird Sanctuary in Etah district
4. Vihaan Talya honored with Wildlife Photographer of the Year award
Vihaan Talya Vikas, a 10-year-old boy from Bengaluru, was awarded the best
- photographer in his category at the prestigious Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition held in London.
- Organized by the Natural History Museum, London, the competition showcases the best wildlife photography from around the world.
- Vihaan’s achievement is even more impressive considering the tough competition. His photo received over 50,000 entries from 95 countries to win the prestigious award in the Under-10 category.
- This event is also considered the ‘Oscar of Photography’.
5. PM launches ‘Mera Yuva Bharat’
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the ‘Mera Yuva Bharat (MY Bharat)’ platform for the youth of the country on the path of duty on National Unity Day.
- In an important decision on October 11, 2023, the Union Cabinet chaired by PM Modi approved the setting up of an autonomous body named “My Youth India”.
About Mera Yuva Bharat (My India)
- My Youth India (MY Bharat), an autonomous body, will benefit youth in the age group of 15-29 years, in line with the definition of ‘youth’ in the National Youth Policy. The age of the beneficiaries will be 10-19 years.
- My Young India (MY Bharat) is a ‘phygital platform’ (physical + digital) that includes opportunities for physical activity as well as digital engagement.
6. Run for Unity’ program in Lucknow on the birth anniversary of Sardar Patel
- Rajnath Singh presided over the ‘Run for Unity’ program to commemorate the 148th birth anniversary of Iron Man of India Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- The event was organized by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited in Lucknow.
- The 1.5 kilometer run was flagged off by the Defense Minister from the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Statue, Hazratganj and culminated at the KD Singh Babu Stadium.
7. Rajeev Chandrashekhar attends ‘AI Safety Summit’ 2023 in UK
- Union Minister of State for Skill Development Rajiv Chandrashekhar participated in the “AI Security Summit 2023” to be held in the United Kingdom.
- The summit is organized by the UK Government, and will bring together ministers and representatives from various countries including the UK, US, France, Indonesia, Kenya, Saudi Arabia and South Korea.
- Centered on the theme of “All for Good”.
- The objective of the summit is to deliberate on the risks associated with AI, especially at the cutting-edge stage of its development, and explore strategies for their mitigation through globally coordinated efforts.
8. Kozhikode and Gwalior declared Creative Cities of Literature and Music by UNESCO
- On World Cities Day, Kozhikode in Kerala and Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh joined the list of 55 new cities to become part of the prestigious UNESCO Creative Cities Network.
- The list was released by the UN body and Union Minister G Kishan Reddy called it a “proud moment for India”.
- There is a strong commitment to harnessing culture and creativity in these cities.
- Kozhikode, a favorite venue for the Kerala Literature Festival and several book festivals, was named a ‘City of Literature’ by the UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN), making it the first city in India to do so.
9. Saima Wazed will lead WHO’s South-East Asia region
- Bangladesh’s Saima Wajed has been nominated to lead the World Health Organization South-East Asia region.
- Wazed is a clinical psychologist and the daughter of Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
- According to the WHO Southeast Asia Region Office, member states voted to nominate him as the next regional director of the UN health body.
- He won against Nepal’s candidate Dr. Shambhu Acharya, who has been serving in the office of WHO Director General since 2013.
10. Koppu Sadashiva Murthy takes charge as CMD of BHEL
- Koppu Sadashiva Murthy has been appointed Chairman and Managing Director of Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL).
- Earlier, Koppu Sadashiva Murthy was the Executive Director, Corporate Operations Management Group at BHEL, and also held the additional charge of Chairman and Managing Director, Bharat Pumps and Compressors Limited (BPCL).
- Koppu Sadashiva Murthy, a graduate in Electrical Engineering from Bhopal University and an MBA in Finance, joined BHEL’s Jhansi manufacturing unit in 1989.
11. Aishwarya Pratap Singh Tomar wins gold medal in Asian Shooting Championship
- Aishwarya Pratap Singh Tomar won the gold medal in the rifle 3-position event with a margin of 0.8 points over China’s Tian Jiaming at the 15th Asian Shooting Championships in Changwan, South Korea.
- Aishwarya Pratap Singh Tomar is an Indian sports shooter.
- He won a bronze medal at the 2019 Asian Shooting Championships and secured a quota place for India at the 2020 Summer Olympics.
12. 39.3 percentage of India’s FY24 fiscal deficit target had been accrued by the end of the first half of the year
India’s budget deficit increased from 37.3% of the yearly target to 39.3% during the first half of the 2023–24 fiscal year. By the end of September 2023, the growing deficit between revenue and expenses had reached Rs 7.02 lakh crore.
13. Nokia global technology leader partnered with TATA Play Fiber to launch India’s first WiFi6-ready broadband network
As the need for high-capacity internet connections in India grows, Nokia and TATA Play Fiber collaborated to launch the nation’s first WiFi6-ready broadband network.